No store-bought carrot can compete with the sweetness of a freshly picked carrot! Our carrots are planted early in our high tunnels where they are hand-thinned, hand-harvested, and hand-picked. We then wash and cool them promptly to retain their wonderful "sweet-as-candy" flavor. Planting early and continuing regularly all season allows us to harvest a small regular crop beginning in late June and continuing for many weeks.
Prep and Storage
- Remove greens and refrigerate carrots in a plastic bag. If stored properly, carrots can keep for 2-3 weeks.
- Do not peel carrots as most of their carotene and other nutrients are close to the surface. Just scrub off the dirt and remove any damaged areas.
How to use
- Carrots are used in many ways, add them to soup, stew, casserole, or stir-fry.
- Fresh carrot greens are edible and reminiscent of parsley. Add them to any cooked carrot dish, salad, or stir-fry for fresh flavor.
- 'Rainbow' or colored carrots can be used the same way as an orange carrot. They have slightly different nutrients and sometimes a sweeter flavor, but they still taste like a carrot.